Having a swimming pool in your back yard can be a lot of fun, but not if that once pristine surface is now covered with algae. If you want to make the most of your summertime fun, you need to care for your pool properly, and that starts with the moment you open it for the season.
The way you open your pool can set the tone for the entire swimming season to come, so it pays to take your time and do it right. It may take a little longer to open your pool the right way, but in the end, you will be glad you did. Here are some simple tips to get your swimming pool off to a great start this spring.
- Drain the water from the cover first. Letting contaminated water from the cover into your pool is just asking for trouble. Use a sump pump or hand pump to remove all the standing water before peeling back the cover.
- Check the condition of your pool cover as you remove it. You will need the cover again in the fall, so take the time to inspect it. Repair or replace the cover if it is in poor condition.
- Check and reconnect the pool equipment. Before opening the pool, you will need to check and reconnect the filter, pump and heater. If you have an automatic pool cleaner you will need to set that up as well.
- Replace your winterizing drain plugs with the regular versions. Now is the time to pull the winterizing drain plugs you used to protect the pool in cold weather. Put them away with the cover and replace them with the regular drain plugs.
- Test your water chemistry and make the needed adjustments. Grab your test strips and a cup of pool water and start testing. Use the readings to add swimming pool chemicals and make adjustments as needed.
- Be sure of retest in a day or two. Guesswork is bad when opening your pool for the season. You want to make awe the chemistry is just right, and that means testing and retesting until everything is perfect.
- Vacuum the pool thoroughly as soon as the cover comes off. Even the best cover will not keep out every piece of dirt and debris, so start the season off right with a thorough pool cleaning. If you use an automatic cleaner, now is the time to put it in and let it do its thing. If not, grab your vacuum and brush and get going.
The way you start your pool can set the tone for the entire swimming season, so take the time to get it right the first time. If you open your pool the right way, you can spend more summer days swimming and enjoying your family and less time scraping algae and debris from the water.